Sunday, November 22, 2020

Brewing After a Break

 Last spring I was preparing to brew an American lager for the state fair competition in Tulsa when the pandemic was making itself known. Soon the competition was canceled and I stored the beer ingredients in the freezer. I had been making batches of beer followed by more batches of beer for two years and I needed a break. Once summer was done and the gardening and yard work was behind me until next year I decided to do a little brewing. I had been following traditional recipes all this time so I decided to create my own beer.  I had the ingredients for a classic German pilsner so I used those, but instead of using the traditional noble hops I tossed in Cascade a hop used  in some of the popular west coast ales. I fermented it at ale temperatures and it is now conditioning at room temperature for a couple of weeks. Sometime next week I will take a precursory sip just to see how things are coming along.


Five gallons of homebrew happily fermenting


This batch yielded 45 12 oz. bottles. They've been
conditioning and carbonating for a week. Another 
week should do it. Of course, the longer they condition
the better quality the finished beer.


No comments:

Post a Comment

  Blue Ribbon Biscuits                                           Dorothy won the blue ribbon at the Tulsa State Fair                        ...